So - how good could 'a bunch of lesbians' be?
Heh. Pretty damn good.
Some rules here - it's the World Cup in the summer (so excited) so let's stick to players for the qualified teams. Also, current players for those qualified teams, in the most recently announced squads (so Bresonik misses out, boo). And, most importantly, those openly gay or bisexual - no speculation, no rumours (just rude, apart from anything else).
And a 4-4-2 formation because that will both please and annoy different types of traditionalist in equal measure.
A little look at the details (mostly from Wiki so, y'know, stats could well be higher than this):
- Nadine Angerer, Germany: 2 World Cups, 5 European championships, 1 UEFA Cup, 4 German cups, 2 Bundesliga titles, 138 caps, FIFA World Player of the Year 2013
- Dyanne Bito, Netherlands: 1 league title, 145 caps, 6 goals;
- Casey Stoney, England: 2 league wins, 7 cup wins, 118 caps, 6 goals, twins;
- Nilla Fischer, Sweden: 1 Champions League, 3 league titles, 1 cup, 125 caps, 19 goals;
- Claudia van den Heiligenberg, Netherlands: 3 league titles, 1 cup, 96 caps, 8 goals
- Isabell Herlovsen, Norway: 3 league titles, 1 cup, 96 caps, 40 goals
- Trine Bjerke Rønning, Norway: 5 league titles, 5 cups, 150 caps, 20 goals
- Caroline Seger, Sweden: 4 league titles, 3 cups, 131 caps, 18 goals
- Megan Rapinoe, USA: 1 Olympic Gold, 2 league titles, 102 caps, 29 goals
- Abby Wambach, USA: 2 Olympic Gold, FIFA World Player of the Year 2012, 241 caps, 182 goals
- Lianne Sanderson, England: 5 league titles, 1 UEFA Cup, 6 cups, 2 Community Shields, 1 Cyprus Cup, 46 caps, 15 goals
So. That's 1388 international caps and 343 international goals between them. And a shit-load of trophies. Let's add a coach - Pia Sundhage, 3 Algarve Cups, 2 Olympic Golds, FIFA World Coach of the Year 2012.
I realise that some people have a problem (theological or otherwise) with non-heterosexuality. But I also know that some non-heterosexual people have to deal with a problem - not of their own making - connected with their orientation. Because they don't see themselves in public, on the big screen, in the discourse.
There will be a wonderful tournament this summer, and it will involve people who are like us. That Casey Stoney interview is on the official FIFA WWC website. Yes.
If you think this doesn't matter, or is 'PC gone mad', then please go about your business. I'm not really talking to you, I'm talking to the legions of little girls who get told stuff and called names when they just want to play the sport they love.
I believe that we will win.
Thanks to Marco Bantani for helping out when the team was short of defenders in formation.